Statement of Belief
THE HOLY BIBLE
The 66 books of the Bible are the inspired and inherent Word of God. (Matthew 5:18; 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
ONE TRIUNE GOD
The one true God exists eternally in three persons, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (the Trinity), and is the Creator of all things. He sovereignly rules over all of His creation. (Psalms 104:5-26; Colossians 1:16-17)
GOD THE FATHER
God the Father is almighty. He created the heavens and the earth through the Son, by the power of the Spirit. The Father sent His Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross, taking the penalty for the sins of mankind, and will send Him back a second time to judge the world. As His adopted sons and daughters, we also call Him “Father.” (Genesis 1; Romans 6:23; John 3:16; Acts 17:30-31; Ephesians 1:3-6)
Jesus is the incarnate Son of God. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary and is true God and true man. We believe that Jesus Christ lived a sinless life and offered Himself as a substitutionary sacrifice for sin. (John 1:1-18; Colossians 1:15-23; Galatians 4:4; Luke 2:40,52; 1 John 2:2)
THE HOLY SPIRIT
The Holy Spirit eternally proceeds from the Father and the Son and is sent by the Father and Son to give new life . The Holy Spirit unites believers to Jesus Christ in faith, brings about the new birth and dwells within the regenerate. The Holy Spirit has come to glorify the Son who, in turn, came to glorify the Father. He will lead the Church into a right understanding and rich application of the truth of God’s Word. He is to be respected, honored and worshiped as God, the third person of the Trinity. (John 15:26-27; Eph. 1:13-14)
Satan was originally the great and good angel Lucifer, but he rebelled against God, taking with him a multitude of angels. He was cast out of God’s presence and is at work with his demonic hosts to establish his counter kingdom of darkness, evil, and unrest on earth. Ultimately, he will be cast into the lake of fire and sulfur, where he will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Isaiah 14:10-17; Ezekiel 28:11-19; Revelation 12:7-9, Revelation 20:7-10)
Man is a created being, made in the image and likeness of God, who formed the first man, Adam, from the dust of the ground, then took one of Adam’s ribs to form the first woman Eve. Through their transgression, fellowship with God was broken, and sin and death came into the world. God knew man would rebel against Him and established His plan of redemption — Christ’s life, death, and resurrection — before the foundation of the world. (Psalms 51:5; Isaiah 53:6a; Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23; Revelation 13:8)
Salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ Jesus alone. No one is saved through his own works or obedience to the law; and no one can come to faith in Christ unless the Father draws him. Though we are not saved by good works, we are created to do them. The Holy Spirit works in those who are saved both to will and to work for God’s good pleasure. (John 6:44; Acts 16:30-31; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 2:12-13; Titus 3:3-7)
THE DOCTRINE OF SANCTIFICATION
As believers read the Holy Bible and yield to the leading of the Holy Spirit, they are made holy and are conformed to the image and likeness of God as a definite yet progressive work of grace. (Hebrews 12:14; 1 Thessalonians 5:23; 2 Corinthians 3:18; 1 Corinthians 1:30)
(for our western volunteers only, including the founder/president)
In working for The Lulu Tree, I understand that radical generosity is about giving of my time, my prayers, and my resources on behalf of the poor. Based on Lulu’s conviction to serve others out of radical generosity, I will freely share the gifts God has given me relying fully on the free gift of grace that Jesus gave us.
- I understand that any trips I take on behalf of Lulu will be paid for using my own resources, so that as much of Lulu’s funding as possible can go towards relieving the burdens of the poor.
- I refuse to accept any payment for the work I do for Lulu, as I want my actions to be motivated purely by love.
- If for any reason I am unable to continue to work for Lulu based on my need to get a paying job, this will be completely understood and received with grace.
- The hours, resources, and prayers I contribute to Lulu are based solely on what the Lord has told me to give, and this will be received gratefully and graciously by others.
- I will abide, to the best of my abilities, at peace with everyone.
- I will lean on the rest of the western Lulu family for personal gifts of prayer and resources in times of need, similar to the Church of Acts in Acts 4:32.
- I will count it a privilege to serve on behalf of the poor and will do my utmost not to be a burden to them but rather, to lay down my life for them.
- I will strive for singleness of heart and action in identifying with the poor and with the mission God has given The Lulu Tree.
- If I am unable to support an aspect of The Lulu Tree I will express myself in private with humility and respect to the Lulu Tree founder, and then, if I still am unable to support the road The Lulu Tree is taking, I will remove myself quietly and with decorum.